Saturday, February 11, 2012

Heading east out of the GTA? Gas up cheap in Shannonville

I've been back in Kingston the past few weeks, and driving to the GTA on weekends to see family and friends.  I had heard that cigarettes were cheap on a Mohawk nation reserve called Tyendinaga, which was true.  But that wasn't all, the gas prices there are around 10 cents cheaper than what's being charged in the Toronto area.     

It occurred to me that there are probably many people who drive that stretch of the 401 who aren't aware that a quick 10 minute jog off the 401 can  save a motorist $5 or more on a 50 litre fill up....and more for those driving larger tanked vehicles.

Gas in the GTA right now, from what I've seen, is somewhere around $1.22 to $1.27 for a litre of regular unleaded.  At Free Flow Gas in Shannonville the price is on $1.11 and 9/10ths...I'll add the tenth of a penny and call it $1.12 per litre.   Free Flow is where I stop, but all the other stations I've seen in the area are charging the same. 

Now, for those who insist on patronizing one of the major brands like Shell, Petro-Can or Esso...I haven't seen any of those stations.  I will tell you though that's I've filled up 4 or 5 times now with no issues at all.  Of course my vehicle is over 10 years old, and I know there are many people with new or newer cars who are afraid to buy gas from unknown branded stations. 

My understanding though is that stations like Free Flow have to buy their gas from the major refiners anyway, and as I've said, it hasn't affected my car's performance one iota.  A guy I know with a 2011 Mustang also fills up there when passing by.

And the smokes are cheap, a carton of Putters is just $30 and you get a $1.00 coupon for your next purchase at the store next to the station I stop at.  They also sell baggies for much less.

If you know of other places for a cheap fill up, feel free to share it by posting a comment. 

Here's a link to a map for the place I go:  CLICK HERE FOR GOOGLE MAP


Follow canukgord on Twitter

Click the button below to vote for Canadian Soapbox at CanadianBlogosphere, then click green.

Canadian Blogosphere (You can vote once every day)

No comments: