Sunday, June 19, 2011

On this Father's Day, let your kids believe in their dreams

For this Father's Day I thought I'd write about my kids.  They are 'Buddy Basketball Star' and his sister the 'Princess Raspberry' aged 6 and 12 respectively.

Kids are incredible, and when they're younger they're even more incredible.  There's a simple reason for that, its because kids haven't yet had life's hard knocks which tell them what can't be done.  So often parents believe they're protecting their kids by telling them to be realistic, that things don't always work out as planned.  The reason is simple, adults don't like to see their kids disappointed.  But there's a danger in being too realistic I fear, and the danger is that children stop dreaming, that they stop seeing the infinite possibilities that life affords. 

Instead, they learn to settle. 

I'm back for a weekend at my own father's place, and have Buddy and Raspberry with me.  Razz is happy mowing the lawn with me, nestling herself between my arms and pushing the mower.  She hasn't started dreaming about what she's going to be when she grows up, there's plenty of time for that.  Her brother though  has already decided, he's going to play in the NBA.  And you know what?  I believe him.

Some might suggest I'm setting Buddy up for disappointment, I don't think so.  There are over 300 guys playing basketball at the highest level, why shouldn't he be one of them.  Sure it'll be hard, but if he's prepared to work at it I don't see why not. 

I figure there are literally  thousands of kids with the same dream.  But I also figure the majority of them have adults in their life telling them...."It probably won't happen". 

If you start out on a quest figuring you won't succeed, chances are you won't.  If on the other hand you believe, then you're already head and shoulders above all the people who doubt they're abilities.

Roy Halladay is perhaps the best pitcher in baseball.  I heard a story about when he was in grade 7, he was told to write a paper on what he wanted to be when he grew up.  The teacher though said she didn't want any pipe dreams about being professional athletes.  Roy's father apparently went to the teacher and argued that his son should be allowed to write about what ever he wanted, that nobody should limit his son's dreams.

So Buddy, if you work at it and really want it bad....then you're already half way to playing in the ACC.  I think its a lesson those of us older could take to heart as well. 



Click the button below to vote for Canadian Soapbox at CanadianBlogosphere, then click green.

Canadian Blogosphere (You can vote once every day)

No comments: